Use violet sketch pen for RS polls: EC [Polity]
- Only a violet sketch pen of a particular make provided by polling officer will be used to mark ballot papers for future elections to Rajya Sabha and legislative councils, the Election Commission of India (ECI) said.
- Such pen will be the instrument for recording preferences on ballot paper by the voter and at the time of poll, it shall be given to each voter by the designated polling officer and shall be taken back from him after the voter comes out of the voting compartment.
- The commission’s order comes months after allegations of foul play were raised in the Rajya Sabha polls in Haryana on June 11.
- In Haryana, 13 of the Congress votes in the 90-member assembly were deemed invalid because they were marked with a different pen than provided by the EC.
- This invalidation of votes gave an unexpected victory to BJP-backed media baron Subhash Chandra over Congress-backed candidate R.K. Anand.