State to implead in SC on TS projects [Polity]
- The Andhra Pradesh government will implead in the Supreme Court on the ‘illegal’ irrigation projects being taken up by the Telangana government as they would lead to desertification of the Rayalaseema region.
- The government would ask the Apex Council to review the projects taken up by Telangana without approval from Krishna and the Godavari River Water Boards.
- The Telangana government was urged to forthwith stop the Palamuru Ranga Reddy and Dindi lift-irrigation projects.
- While maintenance of 854 feet level in the Srisailam reservoir was imperative to release water to Rayalaseema, the two projects in Telangana were designed to draw water at 800 ft. level.
- The previous government in the united AP accorded sanction for surveying the two projects, which was being projected by the Telangana government as permission for building the projects.
- Referring to the special category status, the Centre was charged with looking down upon AP by not giving prominence to it. There was no SCS provision for the State in the A.P. Reorganisation Act.