Census 2011 records rise in literacy among disabled [Social Justice]
- More than half of the total disabled population in India are now literate, new numbers released from Census 2011 show.
- The literacy rate among the disabled has increased from 49.3 per cent in 2001 to 54.5 per cent in 2011.
- However, this is significantly lower than the overall literacy level of India which stands at 74 per cent.
- Both rural and urban areas saw an increase of around four percentage points in literacy rate of the disabled.
- Among the urban disabled, 68 per cent are literate while the number stands at 49 per cent for disabled in the rural areas.
- Difference between literacy rate of males and females is wider in rural areas.