India’s widening gender gap a concern, says ILO [Social Justice]
- International Labour Organisation (ILO) Director General Guy Ryder has expressed concerns over the widening gender gap in workforce in India.
- There is a considerable difference in the level of men and women participation in the labour market.
- While there is a difference of 25 per cent in workforce participation rate of men and women worldwide, in India it is up to 40 per cent.
- ILO will work with the government in its labour reform process by bringing in international experience and setting international labour standards.
- India will ratify two core ILO conventions soon by amending the Child Labour Act. There were some issues related to ratifying the other two conventions related to right of forming unions and collective bargaining.