Justice T.S. Thakur is the next Chief Justice of India [Prelims]
- In a significant move signalling that seniority reigns supreme in the highest judiciary following the revival of the Collegium, Chief Justice of India H.L. Dattu had recommended the name of Justice Tirath Singh Thakur as his successor.
- It is a convention that the present CJI recommends to the government the name of his successor. After the Law Ministry clears his name, the file would travel to the Prime Minister’s Office and finally reach the President. His Warrant of Appointment would be issued after the President gives his approval.
- Had the NJAC law been upheld in whole by the Bench, it would have been the sixmember Commission, and not the CJI, who would have recommended the next Chief Justice of India.
- Justice Thakur, who is known for his patient, detailed and fair hearings of cases, would be the 43rd Chief Justice of India. He would be in office till January 4, 2017.
- Justice T.S. Thakur heralded the overhaul in the Indian cricket administration by holding that no office-bearer of the Board of Control of Cricket in India (BCCI) should have any commercial interests in the game.
- Justice Thakur also heads the bench hearing the Sahara-SEBI dispute, which is steering the course for Sahara Group to return Rs. 36,000 crore back to its allegedly duped investors.
- He also heads the bench monitoring the Saradha chit fund scam and the multicrore NRHM scam.