Interceptor missile mission a ‘failure’ [Defence]
- The interceptor missile mission, which took place recently, was a failure despite claims of Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) to contrary.
- The interceptor never took off to intercept the incoming “enemy” missile which merely fell into the Bay of Bengal.
- A modified Prithvi missile was launched from a naval ship in the Bay of Bengal and it mimicked the trajectory of a missile coming from an enemy country.
- The DRDO developed both the Prithvi missile and the interceptor.
- In 2015, a similar mission failed after the interceptor dived into the Bay of Bengal a few seconds after lift off. In that mission, the DRDO planned to conduct the test against an electronic target missile.