Task force to evolve steps to boost India’s innovation ecosystem [Governance]
- The Department of Industrial Policy & Promotion (DIPP) has decided to set up a Task Force on Innovation.
- It will comprise members from the industry and the government and will assess India’s position as an innovative country.
- It will suggest measures to enhance the innovation ecosystem and improve the country’s ranking in the Global Innovation Index (GII).
- India’s ranking in GII-2016 rose 15 places to 66th position.
- The Cell for intellectual property rights (IPR) Promotion and Management and the DIPP has invited ideas and suggestions from the public.
- In the GII 2016, India retained the top rank in Information and Communication Technology Service Export.
- India is top-ranked economy in Central and Southern Asia, and shows particular strengths in tertiary education and R&D, including global R&D intensive firms, the quality of its universities and scientific publications.
- India ranks second on innovation quality amongst middle-income economies.
- India also recorded a good performance in the GII model’s newly incorporated research talent in business enterprise, where it ranks 31st.