Centre unveils Internet portal for online tracking of mines [e-Governance]
- The Ministry of Mines unveiled a web portal for the easy access to information regarding the mining sector in India, including a framework for rating mines.
- The web portal will have all ratings of the mines and will also have information of the Sustainable Development Framework (SDF) for the mining sector.
- The star rating system, which rates mines out of five stars, is a two-layered system based on a self-evaluation by the mine operator, which is then validated by the Indian Bureau of Mines under the Ministry of Mines.
- There will be random third-party checks to see whether information provided by the operators is correct, and there should be penalties for those providing false information.
- The star rating system will be based on parameters such as efforts taken to mitigate environmental impact of the mines and to resettle and rehabilitate the people affected and adoption of international standards for mining operations and reporting.
- The main objective of this system is to bring all mines to minimum 4- or 5-star rating in the shortest possible time.