Paid maternity leave increased to 6 months [Governance]
- Union Cabinet approved amendments to Maternity Benefit Act of 1961 to increase paid leave for expectant mothers from 3 months to six & a half months.
- Firstly, women adopting a newborn and those having babies through surrogacy will also be entitled for maternity leave for three months.
- The Maternity Benefit (Amendment) Bill of 2016 will benefit 18 lakh women in the organized sector.
- These amendments are applicable to factories with at least 10 workers.
- The proposed amendment also “facilitates work from home” and “mandatory provision for crèche” for factories with at least 50 workers.