ISRO planning record 68 satellites’ launch next year [S&T]
- Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) is planning for the launch of a record 68 satellites in one mission by early next year.
- Antrix is the commercial arm of ISRO.
- The satellites will be nano in nature from foreign countries.
- Setting a record in its space programme, ISRO in June had successfully launched 20 satellites, including its earth observation Cartosat-2 series, in a single mission on board ISRO’s workhorse PSLV-C34.
- The space agency had earlier sent 10 satellites into orbit in a single mission in 2008.
- There are concerns by certain sections in the US about ISRO launches as it is being subsidised by the government.
- Small satellites are going to become a large market and it can be exploited by Indian Industry. ISRO can play a technology providers role there.