Centre banks on ISRO to curb illegal mining across States [Social Justice]
- The Union Ministry of Mines is planning to use remote sensing satellite data to curb illegal mining across States.
- Satellite images taken at regular intervals would help to keep an eye on legal boundaries of mined areas.
- The Indian Bureau of Mines would be the nodal agency to implement the measures.
- The other plan is to use the GPS to track major minerals that have been mined.
- Earth observation satellites are already used to estimate the kind of minerals and the extent of deposits present in an area.