Cabinet approves financial support to BHEL for R&D project for development of Advanced Ultra Super Critical Technology [Economy, Prelims]
- The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs, chaired by the Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi, has approved a proposal of R&D project for development of Advanced Ultra Super Critical (AUSC) Technology for Thermal Power Plant with an estimated cost of Rs.1554 crore.
- The project for development of AUSC Technology for Thermal Power Plants envisages reduced coal consumption as well as Carbon Di-Oxide (CO2) emission.
- The project will enable Indian industries to design, manufacture and commission higher efficiency coal fired power plants with indigenously developed technology and manufacturing processes.
- This will be the first time large power plant equipment will be manufactured with advanced technologies, but without any Technological Collaboration/ Licensing Agreement with foreign companies.
- The proposed technology is still in research stage in all countries working on it.
- Power generation from coal contributes to about 38% of CO2 pollution in the atmosphere. 20% reduction in CO2 emission at source combined with 20% saving in coal consumption compared to a sub-critical plant and by about 11% compared to a supercritical plant are the primary reasons justifying this project.
- Use of it, will ensure energy security for country for a longer period.