Rajnath to press for SAARC terror desk [Security, IR]
- Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh will press for bringing into operation the SAARC Terrorist Offences Monitoring Desk (STOMD) when he visits Islamabad to take part in the conference of Home Ministers.
- Desk was established in Colombo in 1995 to collate, analyse and disseminate information on terror offences, tactics, strategies and methods in SAARC region.
- The desk would come in handy for sharing real-time information on terror-related offences among the eight SAARC nations.
- According to the National Investigation Agency (NIA), the Pathankot attack was carried out by the Pakistan-based Jaish-e-Mohammad (JeM).
- India shared investigation details with Pakistan and allowed a Joint Investigation Team from Pakistan to visit the airbase in March-April.
- The NIA was to be allowed a visit to Pakistan to probe the case but Pakistan has not been forthcoming about it so far.
- India has also conveyed to Pakistan that Mr. Singh is facing threat from various terror organisations and it is Pakistan’s responsibility to provide him security.
- India would not raise the Kashmir unrest, after the killing of militant Burhan Wani, at the forum. Kashmir is our internal matter.