Suresh Prabhu flags off ‘Tripura Sundari Express’; link to Bangladesh laid [IR]
- Tripura entered the broad gauge railway map of country with Union Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu fl agging off Agartala-New Delhi ‘Tripura Sundari Express’.
- The Agartala-Akhoura railway link would be part of trans-Asian rail connectivity and bring connectivity with Bangladesh. The rail track would be extended to Sabroom, the southern-most town in Tripura, which is only 75 km from Chittagong port in Bangladesh.
- Chittagong port is the best port in Asia. The aim is to connect Indian Railways track with Chittagong port through Sabroom.
- Govt. is very keen to make northeast region a tourist hub and bring Bangladesh into the same tourist circuit.
- Bangladesh has now decided to launch a new train between Khulna and Kolkata in addition to the Maitri Express train that plies between Dhaka and Kolkata.
- All northeast state capitals will be linked with railways by 2020 and work is already on in Manipur, Mizoram and Arunachal Pradesh.
- The agreement between the two countries on the rail link was signed during Hasina’s visit to New Delhi in January 2010.