BRICS Women Parliamentarians’ Forum adopts Jaipur Declaration [Women Empowerment ]
- Women Parliamentarians from BRICS nations expressed commitment to work together in the field of economic growth, social inclusion and environmental protection in the ‘Jaipur Declaration’ adopted by them.
- The Declaration also called upon international financial institutions to extend support to developing and least developed countries and help them gain easier access to new and affordable technologies as envisaged under the UN Framework Convention on Climate Change and the Paris Agreement.
- The Declaration mentions the need to address climate change and protection of ecological system and forest as well as food security, expeditious parliamentary approval of SDG related legislation and adequate budgetary resources.
- It also emphasises on plans for incorporating gender concerns and greater involvement of women parliamentarians in integrating citizens in the development process.
- Besides, the need to inform and educate citizens about the developmental schemes and institutionalisation of the BRICS Women Parliamentarians’ Forum were also taken up in the declaration which was unanimously adopted.
- Heads and members of delegation from Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa were present in the two-day meeting.
- Discussions on ‘Perspectives on implementation of SDGs’, ‘Achieving SDGs-Role of Women Parliamentarians in Involving Citizens’ and ‘Containing Climate ChangeImperatives of Global Cooperation’ were held.