50,000 yoga professionals to be certified in 3 years [Health]
- Standards in services sectors will soon be made a critical component at the levels of the Union and the State governments with particular focus initially on yoga and healthcare.
- As part of capacity-building in yoga, the government — with the help of the Quality Council of India (QCI), the nodal body on quality standards — was aiming to “certify around 50,000 yoga professionals within the next three years.”
- The Ministry of AYUSH (Ayurveda, Yoga and Naturopathy, Unani, Siddha and Homoeopathy) and the QCI had in 2015 announced a scheme for voluntary certification of yoga professionals.
- It is necessary to “create a system for accreditation of certification bodies around the world which in turn can certify yoga professionals and yoga schools”.
- Initially, focus will be on three sectors — tourism, higher education and healthcare to achieve better standards as these sectors have immense potential.