Hyperloop proposes to link Mumbai, Pune with high-speed transport system
- US-based Hyperloop Transportation Technologies said that it has proposed to link Mumbai and Pune with its ultra-high speed transport system.
- India is a perfect mix of high-density, lack of infrastructure and political willingness.
- Hyperloop is working to develop transportation systems where pods zip across vacuum tubes at a top speed of about 1,300 km per hour. Building a track would cost $40 million per km.
- Hyperloop is in discussions with about 20 countries to launch a project. It has already signed agreements with Slovakia, Nigeria, Abu Dhabi and the state of California in the US.
- The first Japanese bullet train, which will cover the 508km distance between Mumbai and Ahmedabad in 2 hours at about 350 kmph, may see the light of day by 2025.
- The cost of the project is about Rs.98,000 crore, or about $15 billion, which, of course, does not include operation and maintenance costs.