Respect sovereignty, India tells China
- Asserting its territorial sovereignty, India said that the China-Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC) passes through its territory.
- Addressing the Raisina Dialogue, Foreign Secretary S. Jaishankar said China was yet to respond to India’s concerns on CPEC.
- China is very sensitive on matters concerning its sovereignty. We expect they will respect other people’s sovereignty. CPEC passes through a territory that we see as ours. Surely people will understand India’s reaction.
- China and Pakistan have fast-tracked the construction work of the CPEC, a large part of which passes through PoK. Once completed, the CPEC will provide an allweather energy route for China from the Gulf.
- India’s concerns have also increased in recent weeks with reports of China-Pakistan naval cooperation in Gwadar port of Balochistan, which will serve as the entry point to CPEC.
- With China, overall broadening of ties, in business & people-to-people contacts, has been overshadowed by differences on certain political issues.