It will be ditto Obama here
- The incoming administration will continue with the existing U.S. policies towards India, Pakistan and Asia in general, Defence Secretary-designate James Mattis indicated.
- He complemented Pakistan for its action against terror groups that operate within the country, adding that he would push for more effective targeting of groups that were aimed at neighbouring countries.
- This is in line with the Obama administration’s efforts in the region.
- He pledged to continue with the Obama policy of enhancing a long-term strategic relationship with India “based on the convergence of our interests and our shared democratic values.”
- US and India recently cemented India’s status as a Major Defence Partner.