Money power may come under EC lens
- In a bid to check money power from influencing elections, the Election Commission (EC) suggests bringing under its scanner the sources of income of not only candidates but also their family members.
- EC said Representation of People Act should be amended so that disqualification for entering into government contracts should not be limited to just the candidates but also companies, trusts, firms, Hindu Undivided Family, etc.
- The panel said the changes recommended in the law were meant as an antidote to “maladies caused by criminal antecedents of candidates and misuse of money”.
- Affidavit was based on a PIL by Lucknow-based NGO Lok Prahari for greater transparency in election financing of candidates & their source of money.
- Form 26 should be amended to make it necessary to provide details of the sources of the income of the candidates, their spouses and dependants.
- Lok Prahari had submitted that electorate is unable to make an informed choice if the increase in the candidates’ income was beyond his means or not.