Carnatic musician TM Krishna, social activist Bezwada Wilson among winners of 2016 Ramon Magsaysay award [Ethics, Culture]
- The list of 2016 Ramon Magsaysay awardees is out and two Indians have found a place in it. Acclaimed Carnatic musician TM Krishna and social activist Bezwada Wilson are the awardees from India.
- Other winners are Conchita Carpio-Morales from Philippines, Dompet Dhuafa from Indonesia, Japan Overseas Cooperation Volunteers and Vientiane Rescue from Laos.
- The award is bestowed on leaders from Asia for their selfl ess service to society. It is named after former Philippine president Ramon Magsaysay.
- Krishna, born in Chennai, has been conferred the award for ‘ensuring social inclusiveness in culture.’ The award recognizes his forceful commitment as artist and advocate to art’s power to heal India’s deep social divisions, breaking barriers of caste and class to unleash what music has to offer not just for some but for all.
- As for Bezwada Wilson, he has been recognised for ‘asserting the inalienable right to a life of human dignity.’
- The award recognizes his moral energy and prodigious skill in leading a grassroots movement to eradicate the degrading servitude of manual scavenging in India, reclaiming for dalits the human dignity that is their natural birthright.