Swamy, Sidhu, Mary Kom among six nominated to Rajya Sabha [Prelims]
- The Rashtrapati Bhavan approved a list of six nominated members to the Rajya Sabha, including senior BJP leader Subramanian Swamy, former Test cricketer and BJP MP Navjyot Singh Sidhu and boxing legend Mary Kom among others.
- Economist and former member of the Sonia Gandhi-led National Advisory Council Narendra Jadhav has also been nominated for a Rajya Sabha seat, along with journalist Swapan Dasgupta and Malayalam actor Suresh Gopi.
- These nominations to the Upper House are for achievers in various spheres of public life, and total 12 in number. As of now, there are seven vacancies among these 12, for which six names have been announced, and one kept in abeyance.
- The government can nominate members in this category at anytime and it is not bound to an electoral cycle like the other seats.
- Mr. Jadhav, apart from his economics writings is famous for penning a biography of his family, called Amchi Baap Ani Amhi in Marathi and was translated as Untouchables in English.