Second Scorpene submarine ready
- Khanderi, the second Scorpene submarine under Project-75 being built at Mazgaon Docks Limited (MDL) in Mumbai is all set to be launched into water.
- Meanwhile, the first submarine Kalvari is close to completing sea trials and likely to be inducted into the Navy by the middle of this year.
- Six Scorpene submarines are being built with assistance and technology transfer from DCNS and others of France and under a $3.75-billion deal signed in October 2005.
- The submarines are being built using modular approach in which different sections are built separately and later assembled.
- Khanderi, named after Island fort of Maratha ruler Chhatrapati Shivaji, was supposed to have been launched last year but was slightly delayed.
- The infamous 22,400-page data leak pertaining to Scorpene submarines in Australia has also put shadow on programme even before they joined force.