Modi chants mantra to ‘connect’
- PM Modi has underlined the need to inculcate the concept of ‘scientific social responsibility,’ akin to corporate social responsibility, to connect the leading institutions with all stakeholders, including schools and colleges.
- The idea is to create an environment for sharing of ideas and resources by providing opportunity to the brightest and best of brains in every corner of India to excel in science.
- Delivering the inaugural address at the 104th Indian Science Congress, on the theme ‘Science and Technology for national development’, Mr. Modi announced all form of support to the scientific and research organisations, and in turn, told scientists to leave no stone unturned in ensuring that the fruits of science reached the marginalised sections of society.
- Pledging his government’s support to building a strong S&T infrastructure that is accessible to academia, start-ups, industry and R&D labs, the Prime Minister sought to address the problems of ease of access, maintenance, redundancy and duplication of expensive equipments.
- He mooted idea of establishing professionally-managed centres in Public Private Partnership (PPP) mode to house high-value scientific equipment.
- He exhorted national laboratories to establish a ‘connect’ with schools and colleges to develop appropriate training programmes.
- Laboratories, research institutions and universities in each major city and region should be interlinked to function on a hub and spoke model. The hubs will share major infrastructure, drive our national science missions and be the engines that link discovery to application.