49 rhinos died in Assam since May [Biodiversity]
- 49 rhinos have died since May in Assam and the horns of only 19 were recovered by the Forest Department.
- Out of 49 rhinos, poachers killed five rhinos in Kaziranga National Park and one in Orang National Park in little over two months.
- 22 rhinos were killed in natural calamity (flood) and 21 had natural deaths across Kaziranga, Manas and Pobitora forest areas.
- Kaziranga, Manas and Orang national parks house 2,532 one-horned rhinos as per latest census.
- Assam has five national parks — Kaziranga, Manas, Orang, Nameri and Dibru- Saikhowa — with a total land area of 1,977.79 square km.
- A total of 397 animals were killed in Kaziranga, Orang and Manas national parks due to flood this year.
- Forest Department, NGOs and locals have rescued 113 animals from flood in Kaziranga, Dibru-Saikhowa and Orang parks. There are 111 highlands inside the Kaziranga National Park for animals to take shelter during flood, but these need urgent repair.