Undersea cable to link Andaman, mainland [Infrastructure]
- The Union Cabinet approved a proposal for improving telecom connectivity in Andaman & Nicobar Islands by connecting union territory with Chennai via an undersea optical fibre cable.
- Currently, the only medium of providing telecom connectivity between the Mainland and Andaman & Nicobar Islands is through satellites.
- However, since satellite bandwidth is very costly and its availability is limited, future bandwidth requirement cannot be met solely through it.
- Lack of bandwidth and telecom connectivity is hampering socio-economic development of the islands. Hence, it is essential to have submarine optical fibre cable (OFC) connectivity between the mainland and Andaman & Nicobar Islands.
- Dedicated submarine OFC will connect Mainland (Chennai) & Port Blair and five other islands- Little Andaman, Car Nicobar, Havelock, Kamorta & Great Nicobar.
- The connectivity would allow the implementation of e-governance initiatives; establishment of enterprises and e-commerce facilities in the islands.
- It would also allow for “support to educational institutes for knowledge-sharing and availability of job opportunities.”