14 killed as militants attack market in Kokrajhar [Security]
- At least 14 people, including 1 militant were killed, and over 20 injured when suspected Bodo militants attacked Tiniali market of Kokrajhar district in Assam.
- This was the first major insurgency-related strike in State after BJP took over the reins of Dispur following a massive win in Assembly election in May this year.
- The Kokrajhar district is a Bodo-dominated area and has been a centre of ethnic conflicts for a long time.
- The mastermind behind the attack is suspected to be the National Democratic Front of Bodoland (NDFB) led by I.K. Songbijit.
- Intelligence agencies reckon that the attack may be in retaliation to the killing of a leader of the faction last month.
- A joint operation was launched by the Army and the police along the Assam- Bhutam border to nab the key leaders of the faction. The attack may have been an attempt to divert the attention of security forces from the operation.