Preliminary Examination is the first most stage of Civil Services Examination which is conducted by Union Public Service Commission. The Exam consist of 2 papers; Paper 1 is General Studies and Paper 2 is CSAT or Civil Services Aptitude Test. The Preliminary Exam is only for the screening purpose and is object type in nature. Those who qualify the prelims exam get promoted for Mains, and the marks obtained in Prelims are not counted in the Merit list.
Syllabus of Paper 1 – General Studies (200 Marks) 2 hours of duration
- Current events of national and international importance
- History of India and Indian National Movement
- Indian and World Geography - Physical, Social, Economic Geography of India and the World
- Indian Polity and Governance - Constitution, Political System, Panchayati Raj, Public Policy, Rights Issues, etc.
- Economic and Social Development - Sustainable Development, Poverty, Inclusion, Demographics, Social Sector initiatives, etc.
- General issues on Environmental Ecology, Bio-diversity and Climate Change - that do not require subject specialisation General Science
Syllabus for Paper 2 - CSAT (200 Marks) 2 hours of duration
The CSAT aptitude test or Paper-II of the Civil Services (Preliminary) examination will be a qualifying paper only with a minimum of 33% to be secured to sit for the Civil Services (Mains) exam.
- Interpersonal skills including communication skills;
- Logical reasoning and analytical ability
- Decision-making and problem solving
- General mental ability
- Basic numeracy (numbers and their relations, orders of magnitude, etc.) (Class X level),
- Data interpretation (charts, graphs, tables, data sufficiency etc. - Class X level)