New look for police, backward region sops [Infrastructure]
- The modernisation of the police and the Backward Region Grant Fund (BRGF) - two important central schemes - are likely to stage a comeback in new avatars, probably with some assistance from the Centre.
- Both the schemes are intended to make targeted intervention in economically backward parts of the country, often the hotbed of Naxalite activity. The newlydesigned schemes would be implemented till 2022.
- These were delinked completely from central support in the 2015-16 Union Budget and transferred to state governments, causing much heartburn between the Centre and the states.
- The schemes would be formalised by the NITI Aayog and the finance ministry.
- According to the 2014-15 revised Budget estimate, the Centre granted around Rs 1,433 crore to the states for the National Scheme for Modernisation of Police Forces. That apart, another Rs 537.5 crore was given as non-Plan expenditure under the category of modernisation of police forces.