German Syllabus for Main Examination
Answers must be written in German
1. Structure of Language :
Candidates are expected to have a thorough knowledge of German grammar with reference to specific aspects such as word order, syntactic structures and semantics.
2. Essay in German :
Candidates are expected to demonstrate command over techniques of written expression in German by writing an essay on a contemporary topic of a general nature.
1. Translation of a text of a general nature from English into German.
2.Socio-political and cultural history of Germany from the 18th century onwards with special reference to :
- Impact of Enlightenment on German society and culture
- The impact of Prussian culture on Germany.
- Cultural debates in the Weimar Republic.
- The concept of culture under National Socialism in Germany.
- The development of two German literatures and cultures after 1945.
- Reunification of Germany and the problems of cultural pluralism.
- The role and relevance of German language and literature in the European Union.
Answers must be written in German.
1. Development of German literature from the 19th century to the present.
Candidates should know the main trends, representative authors and their important works. The emphasis is not on collecting information on works and authors, but the candidate is expected to identify features of a literary epoch on the basis of representative texts.
2. The Study of literary genres.
Candidates must be aware of the characteristic features of the different genres like Roman, Novelle, Drama, Ballade, Elegie, Marchen, Fabein, Kurzgeschichte.
1. Perceptions of Literary Interpretation.
Candidates should be aware of various approaches to a critical understanding of literature.
2. Sutdy of Selected Texts.
- Goethe : Die Leiden des jungen Werther.
- Schiller : Maria Stuart.
- Eichendorff. Gedichte.
- Gottfried Keller : Kleider machen Leute.
- Thomas Mann : Die vertauschten Kopfe.
- Franz Kafka : Vor Dem Gesetz.
- Friedrich Durrenmatt : Die Physiker.
- Max Frisch : Andorra.
- Heinrich Boll : Die verlorence Ehre der Katharina Blum.
- Ingeborg Bachmann : Alles (aus dem Erzahlband : Das dreBigste Jahr)
- Rose Auslander : Gedichte.
- Christa Wolf : Der geteilte Himmel.
- Gunter Grass : Zunge zeigen.