NATIONAL DIGIITAL LIBRARY OF INDIA08/31/2019
Credit Linked Capital Subsidy and Technology Upgradation Scheme09/07/2019
TRENDING TUESDAY ARTICLE
Biometric Seafarer Identity Document (BSID)
India has become the first country in the world to issue Biometric Seafarer Identity Document (BSID), capturing the facial biometric data of seafarers.
- The project has been launched by the Ministry of Shipping.
- The new card is in confirmation of the Convention No. 185 of the International Labour Organisation on BSID
- India ratified the Convetion Software october 2015
- Development of BSID is very significant against the backdrop of the increase in seafaring activities.
- BSID will provide a foolproof identification to seafarers which will facilitate:
- Seafarer’s movement,
- Ease of getting jobs,
- Identification of seafarers from any location in the world.
- The shipping sector is seeing major developments in the areas ofcoastal shipping, inland waterways and other maritime activities
- These major developments will increase the number of Indian seafarers in the international shipping industry.
- The total number of Indian seafarers who were employed on Indian or foreign flag vessels increased by 35% from 2017 to 2019.
Biometric Seafarer Identity Document
- It will have a biometric chip embedded in it.
- The card has two optical security features
- Micro prints/micro texts
- Unique Guilloche pattern.
- A software has been developed for capturing the facial biometrics and its 1/2 authentication through the public key infrastructure.
- A record of each Seafarer Identity Document (SID) issued will be maintained in a national database and its related information will be internationally accessible. Convention No. 185 of the International Labour Organisation on BSID.
The convention promotes:
- Security against potential threats of International Terrorism.
- Introduces modern security features of the BSID.
- Requiring a record of each BSID issued to be maintained in a national database, with the related information to be internationally accessible.
- Ensures the reliability of the identification of the holder of the BSID, while protecting the holder’s dignity and privacy.