WORLD CONGRESS ON INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY 2018 IN INDIA
Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated the 22nd edition of World Congress on Information Technology (WCIT) 2018 in Hyderabad through video conferencing in New Delhi.
KEY-FACTS OF THE CONFERENCE
- The three-day event is staged in India for the first time from February 19th -21st, 2018 and it is organized in partnership with NASSCOM, WITSA (World Information Technology & Services Alliance) and the Government of Telangana.
- The key themes of the event are: Bracing for Impact, Digitise the Core, Firm of the Future (FoF), Emerging Imperatives, Collaborate to Disrupt.
- The event is being held along with the NASSCOM 26th edition of India Leadership Forum (NILF) 2018 (ILF NASSCOM’s flagship platform is a melting pot for ideas, innovation, strategy, business and the future).
- The biggest tech event was attended by more than 2,500 visionaries, captain of industry, government leaders and experts from more than 35 countries.
- The event included discussions on legal, political and economic trends affecting IT business processes, presentations of innovative solutions, B2B meetings and so on.
- The World Congress on Information Technology (WCIT) was first held in 1978 by WITSA (World Information Technology & Services Alliance), the World Congress on Information Technology (WCIT) has become the premier international ICT forum.
- Previous hosting countries were Canada, the Netherlands, Malaysia, USA, Greece, Australia, China, Spain, Japan, England, France, Denmark, Mexico, Brazil, Taiwan (2017), India (2018), and the upcoming countries are Armenia (2019) and Malaysia (2020).
- The event focuses on its many facets, including opportunities, challenges and paves the onward journey.
IMPORTANCE OF THE EVENT
- The era of Technology: Now is the era of technology. Technology helps us in creating a seamless, integrated world, where geographical distance no longer remains a barrier in collaborating for a better future.
- Economic Significance for India: PM Modi defined India as a technology friendly country and the hot-spot of digital innovation across all the sectors. India is growing as a market for tech innovations. The IT industry contributes 7.7 percent in India’s GDP thus; to capture the benefits from the rapidly increasing industry is a must.
- India’s Digital India Campaign: In India, over one lakh villages are linked with optical fiber,121 crore Mobile phones, 120 crore Aadhaar and 50 crore internet users, and government policies such as e-NAM, BHIM-UPI, Umang app, Pradhan Mantri Rural Digital Literacy Missionare transforming India into Digital India that will ensure empowerment of every citizen.
- Telangana was selected as the venue as the state is an emerging hub for the technology and services sector in India and offers world-class infrastructure, skilled talent, the presence of all global and Indian MNCs and proactive government.
- In India, Telangana is the second largest IT exporter and the most business-friendly state and have attracted best IT firms like Google, Microsoft, Facebook, Amazon, Uber, Salesforce and many others.
In the 21st century, Digitization has pervaded the heart of businesses, though the level of penetration is varied across industry vertically. In today’s arena, technology is the most important factor and if it is used well it can deliver lasting prosperity to mankind and a sustainable future. India is developing rapidly in terms of technology and as a driver for innovation and such events will greatly help India in maintaining its competitive edge and creating a better world.