ISRO MULLS LAUNCHING 65 SATELLITES FOR VARIOUS USES
- The Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO) has planned to make and to launch around 65 satellites for a large number of uses and they are planned to be released over the period from 2017 to 2021.
- GSAT-11: The satellite will enable 10 gbps broadband connectivity.
- GSAT-29: This will use optical communication for the first time.
- GSAT-7A: This will primarily be used by the Indian Navy and the military forces.
- RISAT 1A, 2A, 2B: They will enable monitoring of land and sea for 24/7 and can see objects at night as well through clouds.
- Cartosat-3 3A: They will be capable to spot objects that are about as long or wide as 25cm from a distance of some 600 km.
- Resourcesat-3: It will help in monitoring the natural resources.
- Oceansat-3: It will monitor ocean atmosphere and currents.
- HySIS (Hyperspectral Imaging Satellite): It can easily distinguish between objects with high clarity.
- Chandrayaan-2: This will be ISRO’s first mission to land a spacecraft on Moon and explore its surface with a rover.
- XPoSAT: It will be used in studying about neutron stars.
ABOUT THE NEW GOAL
- The new goal will put ISAC (ISRO Satellite Centre) annual asking rate at around 18 satellites a year and now it needs to come out with three satellites every month.
- The spacecrafts are meant to improve communication, navigation and Earth Observation (EO) for both general and strategic purposes.
- One satellite launch costs Rs 200-300 crore depending on the size and level of technology of the satellite.
- IRSO will launch its 100th satellite along with 30 others in a single mission on January 12 from Sriharikota that will be a milestone event in the country’s space history.
- A few new proposals were made during 2017, their approval is awaited. The ISRO is working hard for the goal and they are ready to complete the launches successfully.
- Once the launch will get completed, services like communication, connectivity, monitoring resources (natural resource, ocean atmosphere) will be improved and Indian Economy will become more independent and technological advance.