Indian Navys All - Woman Team Sets Sail from Goa to Circumnavigate Globe
Defence Minister Nirmala Sitharaman said that Navika Sagar Parikrama was a historic occasion for India and hailed the all-woman crew which is on a global circumnavigation trip. She further added that wherever needed the Defence Ministry will be more than willing to support and encourage women to take up opportunities in the defence sector.
India’s first full-time woman Defence Minister, flagged off the Navika Sagar Parikrama at the INS Mandovi Naval training base near Panaji, Goa Chief Minister and former Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar was also present.
Navika Sagar Parikrama:
- The first-ever attempt by an all-woman crew to circumnavigate the globe
- The expedition will have stop-overs at four ports (Fremantle( Australia), Lyttleton(New Zealand), Port Stanley( the Falklands) and Cape town(South Africa) for replenishment of ration and repairs as necessary, before returning to Goa in April 2018
- The crew has already sailed approximately 20,000 nautical miles on board INSV Mhadei and Tarini as part of training, this includes two expeditions to Mauritius and a voyage from Goa to Cape Town in December 2016
- The crew would collate and update meteorological data on a daily basis for subsequent analysis by research and development organisations and also monitor and report marine pollution on the high sea
Significance of the mission:
- The project is considered essential towards promoting ocean sailing activities in the Navy
- It depicts Government of India’s thrust for Nari Shakti(women power) and is in consonance with the national policy to empower women to attain their full potential. The expedition aims to showcase Nari Shakti on the world platform
- It would also help discard societal attitudes and mind-set towards women in India by raising visibility of participation by women in challenging environment
- The voyage also aims to show case Make in India initiative by sailing on board the indigenously-built INSV Tarini. INSV Tarini is a 55-foot sailing vessel which has been built indigenously by Aquarius Shipyard, Goa and was inducted into the Indian Navy earlier in 2017