N. Korea tests ‘hydrogen’ bomb, sparks outrage
North Korea declared its biggest-ever nuclear detonation a perfect success when it tested a hydrogen bomb which it can mount on a missile The world’s reaction to the country’s sixth nuclear test was swift and angry. The test sparked a strong rebuke from U.S. President Donald Trump who slammed the act as dangerous.
A television newsreader hailed the unprecedentedly large blast, as it marked a very significant occasion for North Korea in attaining the final goal of completing the state nuclear force.
Images of Kim Jong-un at the Nuclear Weapons Institute, were released hours before the test, inspecting what it said was a miniaturized Hydrogen bomb that could be fitted onto an intercontinental ballistic missile.
Experts who studied the impact of the earthquake caused by the explosion (measured US at a magnitude of 6.3) said that there was enough strong evidence to suggest that North Korea has either developed a hydrogen bomb or was getting very close.
Reactions across the world:
- China rebuked its ally, issued strong condemnation of the test and started emergency monitoring for radiation at its border with the North. The test overshadowed the opening of the BRICS summit in Xiamen by leader Xi Jinping
- American President Mr. Trump said on Twitter that Pyongyang’s words and actions continue to be very hostile and dangerous to the U.S. North Korea is a rogue nation which has become a great threat and embarrassment to China, which is trying to help but with little success
- Japanese Prime Minister condemned the test and described it as absolutely unacceptable
- Russian Foreign Ministry expressed its strongest condemnation but urged calm
- South Korean President called for new United Nations sanctions to completely isolate North Korea and said the South would discuss deploying the strongest strategic assets of the US military
- The head of the UN's nuclear watchdog, IAEA said, the nuclear test was an extremely regrettable act that was in complete disregard of the repeated demands of the international community