25 CRPF men killed in Maoist attack
Maoist killed 25 CRPF personnel and injured seven in Sukma district of Chhattisgarh. Around 10 to 12 Maoists were killed in retaliatory fire by the CRPF personnel. Firing lasted for almost three hours.
It is the worst Maoist attack in Chhattisgarh in seven years.
The incident took place when a team of 100 CRPF personnel, that belonged to the 74th battalion of CRPF were on duty and were providing protection for a road construction work in the area.
The area is part of Chintagufa-Burkapal-Bheji axis which is the hotbed of Maoist activity and has witnessed attacks on security forces in recent times.
How was the attack executed:
- The Maoists initially send some local villagers to check the location of the CRPF team and then launched a surprise attack
- Some villagers even carried weapons and were also used as a shield by the Maoist
- The Maoists were also in possession of automatic weapons such as AK-47, SLR and INSAS
- The terrain in the area is rocky and uneven
- The CRPF troops were initially distracted through distraction fire, but majority of the firing came from the other side
The response from security forces:
- CRPF personnel gave a befitting reply but the Maoists used the geographical position to their advantage
- 10 to 12 Maoists were reportedly killed in the attack, though no bodies have been recovered yet
Concerns that were raised after the attack:
- The country’s largest paramilitary force is without a full time chief for almost two months
- An attack in the same area left 76 CRPF troops dead in 2010
- Local support from villagers whether voluntarily or due to fear, put a question mark on our developmental initiatives
- Lack of interstate coordination among the various police forces have led to a situation where we are unable to contain Maoist activities
Five-pronged strategy adopted by the center to contain Left wing extremism(LWE)
- Taking up developmental programmes in the Naxal affected area
- Creating awareness among communities, not to take the path of violence
- Use of modern technologies that include unmanned aerial vehicles
- Creating a communication network in the area by installing mobile towers
- Emphasizing on developmental in field of education, health, communication etc.