NITI Aayog meet, PM Narendra Modi tells states to step up capex, fast-track GST laws
The vision of New India can only be realized if all the states work together. To achieve this objective the Prime Minister urged the states to speed up capital expenditure and infrastructure creation.
He asked the state governments to work with the Centre as Team India, to build an India that our freedom fighters have dreamt about by 2022. He even stated that the issue of regional imbalance should be addressed on a high priority both at the national level and even within states.
The NITI Aayog governing council meeting started with the deliberation on the 15-year vision document to accelerate the country’s economic development.
The Prime minister while addressing the third meeting of the governing council of the NITI Aayog emphasized:
- While the funds allocated by the center to the states have increased, the percentage of funds tied to central schemes has declined, which is leading to an increase in untied funds
- Poor infrastructure was hampering economic development. Expenditure on basic infrastructure such as roads, ports, power and railways will help accelerate growth
- He referred to the change in date of budget presentation and the advantages this would bring about. Earlier the budget would be approved only by May after which it would be communicated to various states and ministries. The monsoon arrives by the time and the best season for implementing schemes is lost
- The Prime minister stated that a constructive discussion about holding union and state elections simultaneously had begun and the debate should be taken forward • He also added that states should make legislative arrangements for GST without delay to ensure a GST rollout from July 1
- Changing the financial year from the current April-March to January-December also found mention in his speech • The prime minister asked states to use GeM platform (Government e-marketplace), to reduce corruption and increase transparency in government procurement • The Prime minister asked the NITI Aayog to come up with a road map for better utilization of the district mineral fund, the CAMPA fund and the construction worker’s welfare fund