Aadhar now needed for mobile connection
The Department of Telecommunications issued a notification, directing all service providers to verify again the details for all existing subscribers through Aadhaar-based e-KYC process.
Service providers have also been instructed to intimate their existing subscribers through advertisement in print and electronic media as well as SMS and upload the details of this activity on their website.
This to make them aware about the orders of the Supreme Court related to reverification activity.
The notification was issued post a Supreme Court order in which the court approved the government’s plan to record the identification details of mobile subscribers through an e-KYC mechanism.
The move impacts more than 100 crore mobile phone subscribers and the cost of the process is likely to be borne by the service provider.
Any number that is not linked to Aadhaar will be illegal after 6 February 2018.
Similar Notifications in Recent times:
- Finance Minister moved an amendment to the Finance Bill 2017 to make Aadhaar mandatory for individuals to apply for a PAN card and for filing income tax returns from this year
- The government even made it mandatory for beneficiaries to quote their Aadhaar number to avail themselves of benefits under the Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Vikas Yojana for skill development and the Self Employment Scheme for Rehabilitation of Manual Scavengers
- The government has identified 31 schemes in which Aadhaar has been made mandatory. Notifications have been issued to make Aadhaar compulsory for getting subsidized grains under the National Food Security Act, jobs under the MGNREGA and pension benefits under the Employee Pension Scheme
Making Aadhaar mandatory for availing benefits of government schemes
- The Supreme Court in an interim ruling had stated that the use of Aadhaar should not be made mandatory for availing benefits under various government schemes
- But a final ruling hearings in the is still pending
- The legislation that conferred statutory status on the Aadhaar project too said its use should not be made mandatory
- The rationale behind making Aadhar mandatory is that it will help check corruption
- Suggested strategy is that we can start making Aadhar mandatory one scheme at a time and gradually encompass all schemes under it