Society 5.0 is a human-centred society that balances economic advancement with the resolution of social problems by a system that highly integrates cyberspace and physical space. It follows the hunting society (Society 1.0), agricultural society (Society 2.0), industrial society (Society 3.0), and information society (Society 4.0).
How Society 5.0 works
- Society 5.0 achieves a high degree of convergence between cyberspace (virtual space) and physical space (real space). In the past information society (Society 4.0), people would access a cloud service (databases) in cyberspace via the Internet and search for retrieve, and analyze information or data.
- In Society 5.0, a huge amount of information from sensors in physical space is accumulated in cyberspace.
- In cyberspace, this big data is analyzed by artificial intelligence (AI), and the analysis results are fed back to humans in physical space in various forms.
- In the past information society, the common practice was to collect information via the network and have it analyzed by humans.
- In Society 5.0, however, people, things, and systems are all connected in cyberspace and optimal results obtained by AI exceeding the capabilities of humans are fed back to physical space.
- This process brings new value to industry and society in ways not previously possible.
Relevance of society 5.0 for India
- It can work towards reduction of greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions, increased production and reduced loss of foodstuffs, mitigation of costs associated with the ageing society, support of sustainable industrialization, redistribution of wealth, and correction of regional inequality.
- But achieving both economic development and solutions to social problems at the same time has proven to be difficult in the present social system and industry 4.0 and associated technologies can be deployed to solve many of those problems
- A Balanced approach should be taken by the government to adopt this technology fruitfully, for both development and social security.