India beats US in 2016 mobile app market growth, sees most Google Play downloads
- India’s mobile app market grew sharply last year, outpacing the US, and ranked number one in terms of Google Play downloads, highlighting the vibrancy of the country’s mobile ecosystem.
- Indians downloaded over 6 billion apps in 2016, up from 3.5 billion in 2015. That 71% growth was significantly higher than the overall 15% growth in app downloads around the world.
- In 2016, India surpassed the US as the second largest smartphone market due in large part to a rise in domestically produced smartphones.
- India’s smartphone penetration is still below 30%.
- In 2016, China became the largest market in terms of iOS App Store revenue.
- Total time spent on apps rose significantly, especially in emerging markets, which accounted for four of the top five countries by total time spent in 2016.
- App adoption is growing rapidly in emerging markets including India and Indonesia– while mature markets are seeing apps challenge and change traditional industries including retail, entertainment and banking.