Chanakya IAS Academy Blog

In a historic decision, Juvenile Justice Board said that the juvenile in the Mercedes hit-and-run case in Delhi on April 4, 2016 will be tried as an adult and has transferred a case of a minor in conflict with law to a regular court. The decision capacitates Delhi police to forward the case to a regular court.

A business consultant in his thirties had lost his life in the accident on April 4, 2016. Mr.Srivatsava said that earlier also the juvenile was involved in four traffic violations for which he was challenged and later pleaded guilty before the court. When asked why the police did not check his age at that time, the prosecutor replied that the juvenile might have bluffed police as well as the court.

The juvenile has been charged under section 304 (culpable homicide not amounting to murder) and 201 (destruction of evidence) of the Indian Penal Code. He is on bail.

On April 5, 2016, a day after the incident, the offender had been apprehended by the Delhi Police. However, he was set free on bail as at that time he was booked under the softer Section 304A of the IPC.

The victim’s father alleged that investigating agency was soft on him. After a public outrage over the minor walking free, police converted the case into culpable homicide not amounting to murder (304) and arrested him again. Such kinds of decisions are the need of the hour and a clear indication that travesty of law will no longer be tolerated. Juvenile Justice Board verdict is, in fact, a message that law cannot be bent in anybody’s favor and comes as a great relief to the grieving family.

Read 209 times Last modified on Monday, 11 July 2016 16:18
More in this category:
Login to post comments